Esports Teams: The Most Successful Ones of All Time
The world of esports has seen numerous teams rise to prominence, but which are the most successful of all time? In this article, we’ll delve into the top esports teams, their achievements, and how they’ve shaped the industry.
Check out our post: A Beginner’s Guide to Esports: Understanding the Basics
The Powerhouses of Esports
1. Team Liquid
Founded in 2000, Team Liquid has become one of the most successful and well-known esports organizations in the world. The team’s accomplishments span across multiple titles, including Dota 2, StarCraft II, League of Legends, and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS:GO).
In 2017, Team Liquid achieved a monumental victory, winning The International 7, Dota 2’s most prestigious tournament, taking home a staggering $10.8 million in prize money. Their continued success has earned them a total prize pool of over $36 million.
Team Liquid’s League of Legends team has also seen success on the international stage, reaching the finals of the 2019 Mid-Season Invitational and consistently placing in the top positions in the North American League of Legends Championship Series (NALCS).
In CS:GO, Team Liquid has been a dominant force in the North American scene and a contender in international events. They secured the Intel Grand Slam Season 2 in 2019, winning four premier tournaments in a span of ten events, earning a $1 million bonus in addition to their individual tournament winnings.
2. Evil Geniuses
Evil Geniuses (EG) has been a force to be reckoned with since its inception in 1999. With a strong presence in Dota 2, CS:GO, and Call of Duty, EG has made a name for itself as a top-tier esports organization.
Their crowning achievement came in 2015 when they won The International 5, securing a prize of over $6.6 million. Evil Geniuses’ total prize pool earnings exceed $24 million, cementing their position as one of the industry’s heavyweights.
In addition to their success in Dota 2, Evil Geniuses has been a dominant force in the Call of Duty scene. The team secured the 2018 Call of Duty World League Championship, taking home a prize of $600,000.
EG’s CS:GO team has also seen success, winning premier events such as ESL One New York 2019 and StarSeries & i-League CS:GO Season 8.
Fnatic burst onto the esports scene in 2004 and has since established itself as a leading organization. With a focus on games like League of Legends, CS:GO, and Dota 2, Fnatic has accumulated numerous championships and accolades.
In 2011, their League of Legends team emerged victorious at the Riot Season 1 Championship, propelling them into the spotlight. Fnatic’s total prize pool earnings amount to over $16 million.
Fnatic’s CS:GO team has been one of the most successful in the game’s history, winning three Major championships: DreamHack Winter 2013, ESL One Katowice 2015, and ESL One Cologne 2015. The team’s core roster, consisting of players such as JW, flusha, and KRIMZ, has become synonymous with success in the CS:GO scene.
In Dota 2, Fnatic has consistently placed in the top positions in various premier tournaments, including multiple top-eight finishes at The International.
4. SK Telecom T1
Hailing from South Korea, SK Telecom T1 is a titan in the world of esports, particularly in the League of Legends arena. With three League of Legends World Championships under their belt (2013, 2015, and 2016), they have etched their name in the annals of esports history.
Their star player, Faker, is often hailed as the best League of Legends player of all time, contributing significantly to the team’s success. SK Telecom T1’s total prize pool earnings exceed $8 million.
SK Telecom T1 has also been dominant in the LCK, South Korea’s premier League of Legends competition, winning multiple championships and showcasing the incredible talent present in the Korean esports scene.
Natus Vincere (Na’Vi):
A dominant force in CS:GO and Dota 2, with total prize pool earnings of over $14 million. Na’Vi’s Dota 2 team has consistently placed in the top positions at The International, including a first-place finish at The International 1 in 2011. Their CS:GO team has seen great success, winning multiple premier tournaments and boasting some of the most talented players in the game’s history, such as s1mple and electronic.
Successful in League of Legends and CS:GO, boasting total prize pool earnings of over $7 million. G2 Esports’ League of Legends team has been the dominant force in the European LEC, securing multiple championships and representing Europe at international events. Their CS:GO roster has also seen great success, winning various premier tournaments and maintaining a strong presence in the competitive scene.
A Danish powerhouse in CS:GO, with total prize pool earnings of over $8 million. Astralis has won four Major championships in CS:GO, making them one of the most successful teams in the game’s history. With a focus on teamwork, strategy, and incredible individual skill, Astralis has set a new standard for excellence in the competitive CS:GO scene.
Breaking Records and Setting Standards
These top esports teams have not only racked up impressive winnings but have also contributed to the growth and evolution of the industry. Through their passion, dedication, and professionalism, they have inspired a new generation of players and fans.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do esports teams make money?
Esports teams generate revenue through various channels, such as sponsorship deals, advertising, merchandise sales, and tournament winnings. Top-tier teams can also earn revenue through streaming and content creation partnerships.
How do I join an esports team?
Joining an esports team typically requires dedication, skill, and networking. Start by mastering a particular game, participating in amateur leagues, and attending local tournaments to gain exposure. Networking with other players and engaging with the community can also help you get noticed by teams.
Can esports be a viable career?
Yes, esports can be a viable career for talented and dedicated players. Top esports athletes can earn a living through salaries, tournament winnings, sponsorships, and streaming. However, reaching this level of success requires a significant investment of time and effort.
How much do esports players make?
Esports players’ salaries can vary greatly depending on the game, the player’s skill level, and the organization they represent. Top players can earn six-figure salaries, while others may make a more modest income. Tournament winnings and sponsorships can also contribute to a player’s earnings.
What is the most popular esports game?
The popularity of esports games can change over time. As of 2021, some of the most popular esports titles include League of Legends, Dota 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and Call of Duty. The popularity of a game can be influenced by factors such as regional interest, game updates, and the competitive scene.
- “Team Liquid – Liquipedia Dota 2 Wiki.” Liquipedia.net. Accessed May 9, 2023. https://liquipedia.net/dota2/Team_Liquid.
- “Evil Geniuses – Liquipedia Dota 2 Wiki.” Liquipedia.net. Accessed May 9, 2023. https://liquipedia.net/dota2/Evil_Geniuses.
- “Fnatic – Liquipedia Dota 2 Wiki.” Liquipedia.net. Accessed May 9, 2023. https://liquipedia.net/dota2/Fnatic.
- “SK Telecom T1 – Liquipedia League of Legends Wiki.” Liquipedia.net. Accessed May 9, 2023. https://liquipedia.net/leagueoflegends/SK_Telecom_T1.
- “Natus Vincere – Liquipedia Counter-Strike Wiki.” Liquipedia.net. Accessed May 9, 2023. https://liquipedia.net/counterstrike/Natus_Vincere.
- “G2 Esports – Liquipedia Counter-Strike Wiki.” Liquipedia.net. Accessed May 9, 2023. https://liquipedia.net/counterstrike/G2_Esports.
- “Astralis – Liquipedia Counter-Strike Wiki.” Liquipedia.net. Accessed May 9, 2023. https://liquipedia.net/counterstrike/Astralis.
- Cosslett, Rhiannon. “How to become an esports player: five tips from a pro gamer.” The Guardian. January 9, 2019. Accessed May 9, 2023. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/09/how-to-become-an-esports-player-five-tips-from-a-pro-gamer.
- “The 10 Highest Earning Esports Teams of All Time.” Business Insider. September 25, 2020. Accessed May 9, 2023. https://www.businessinsider.com/highest-earning-esports-teams-all-time-2019-8.
- “How to Make Money in Esports: 5 Ways to Earn a Living.” GINX Esports TV. Accessed May 9, 2023. https://www.ginx.tv/en/esports/how-to-make-money-in-esports-5-ways-to-earn-a-living.
- “How Much Do Esports Players Make?” Business Insider. February 8, 2021. Accessed May 9, 2023. https://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-money-do-esports-players-make-2021-2.
- “The Most Popular Esports Games in 2021.” Dot Esports. January 26, 2021. Accessed May 9, 2023. https://dotesports.com/business/news/the-most-popular-esports-games-in-2021.