Esports has taken the world by storm, with an ever-growing list of games captivating audiences and drawing in professional players from around the globe.
In this article, we will explore some of the most popular esports games and help you decide which ones might be the best fit for you.
Whether you’re a casual gamer looking to dip your toes into the competitive scene or an aspiring professional seeking your next challenge, these games offer something for everyone.
Check out our post: A Beginner’s Guide to Esports: Understanding the Basics
League of Legends (LoL)
Developed by Riot Games, League of Legends is a multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) game that has become synonymous with the esports industry. Players form teams of five and compete against one another in matches, working together to destroy the opposing team’s Nexus – the core building of their base.
Choosing the right MOBA game
With its complex strategy, diverse champion pool, and vibrant esports scene, LoL is a top choice for competitive gamers. The annual League of Legends World Championship is one of the most prestigious esports events, attracting millions of viewers and offering massive prize pools.
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS:GO)
As the latest entry in the long-running Counter-Strike series, Global Offensive has maintained its status as a premier first-person shooter (FPS) in the esports world. In CS:GO, players join either the Terrorists or the Counter-Terrorists, engaging in fast-paced, team-based gameplay.
Best competitive FPS games
CS:GO’s esports scene is well-established, with numerous leagues, tournaments, and events taking place worldwide. For FPS enthusiasts seeking a game with a strong competitive community and high-stakes action, CS:GO is an excellent choice.
Developed by Valve Corporation, Dota 2 is another titan in the MOBA genre. Much like League of Legends, players form teams of five and battle against one another, aiming to destroy the opposing team’s Ancient – the core building of their base.
MOBA games like Dota 2
Dota 2’s esports scene is particularly renowned for its annual tournament, The International, which boasts the largest prize pool in esports history. Dota 2’s intricate gameplay and thriving competitive community make it an attractive option for MOBA enthusiasts.
A relative newcomer to the esports scene, Fortnite has quickly become a global phenomenon. Developed by Epic Games, Fortnite combines battle royale gameplay with building mechanics, allowing players to construct structures for defence or attack.
Battle Royale esports games
Fortnite’s esports scene includes the Fortnite World Cup and various other tournaments, with millions of dollars in prize money up for grabs. Its unique gameplay and broad appeal make Fortnite an ideal choice for gamers seeking an accessible, fast-paced esports experience.
Created by Blizzard Entertainment, Overwatch is a team-based FPS that emphasizes cooperative gameplay and features a diverse cast of heroes, each with unique abilities. Overwatch matches pit two teams of six players against one another in various objective-based game modes.
Team-based esports games
The Overwatch League (OWL) is the game’s premier esports competition, featuring franchised teams from around the world. Overwatch’s emphasis on teamwork, strategy, and engaging gameplay make it a standout choice for players looking for a fresh take on competitive FPS.
Which Game Is Right for You?
Read our post on The Psychology of Esports: What Makes It So Addictive?
To help you decide which of these popular esports games is the best fit for you, consider the following factors:
- Gameplay Style: Do you prefer fast-paced FPS action or strategic MOBA matches? Your preferred gameplay style should play a significant role in your decision.
- Competitive Scene: Are you interested in participating in well-established leagues and tournaments or looking to break into a newer, less developed scene?
- Game Complexity: Some games have steeper learning curves than others, so consider whether you’re looking for a challenging, in-depth experience or something more accessible.
- Community: Each game has its own unique community, so consider which one aligns best with your personality and preferences.
- Time Investment: Esports games can require significant time investments for practice and competition. Think about how much time you’re willing to dedicate to your chosen game.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get started in competitive gaming?
Start by selecting a game that aligns with your interests and playstyle. Practice regularly, join online communities, participate in local tournaments, and network with other players to improve your skills and make connections in the esports world.
How can I join an esports team?
Begin by honing your skills in your chosen game and making a name for yourself in the competitive scene. Join amateur teams, participate in tournaments, and network with other players. As you gain experience, you may be scouted by professional organisations or attend open tryouts for established teams.
What equipment do I need for competitive gaming?
Invest in a quality gaming setup, including a powerful computer or console, a high-refresh-rate monitor, a comfortable gaming chair, and peripherals such as a gaming mouse, keyboard, or controller tailored to your needs.
How do esports players stay in peak mental and physical condition?
Esports athletes often incorporate physical fitness, mental health exercises, and proper nutrition into their daily routines. Maintaining a healthy work-life balance and seeking support from mental health professionals, coaches, or teammates can also contribute to overall well-being.
Can I make a living as a professional esports player?
While challenging, it is possible to make a living as a professional esports player. Success in the esports industry can lead to earnings from salary, tournament winnings, sponsorships, and streaming revenue.
- Riot Games. (n.d.). League of Legends. Retrieved from https://na.leagueoflegends.com/
- Valve Corporation. (n.d.). Counter-Strike: Global Offensive. Retrieved from https://store.steampowered.com/app/730/CounterStrike_Global_Offensive/
- Valve Corporation. (n.d.). Dota 2. Retrieved from https://store.steampowered.com/app/570/Dota_2/
- Epic Games. (n.d.). Fortnite. Retrieved from https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/home
- Blizzard Entertainment. (n.d.). Overwatch. Retrieved from https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/